Finally! An (almost) Finished Office
It’s finished! Keep reading to see exactly what we’ve done to transform our office space- from start to finish!
First, let me remind you how terrible this room was when we first bought the homestead. These are the realtor’s listing photos.
We created our office in the bedroom with the big double-door closet (see our homestead floor plan here). When we bought the home this room was painted electric blue with shaker-style shelves and peg hooks all around the walls:
Our very first project in this room (and the entire house) was scraping popcorn texture off the ceiling. I put down plastic sheeting to protect the floors from the water and paste that comes down during the scraping process. Notice how the walls are the same color as the painter’s tape I was using. Electric blue!
Here is the scraping process- First, I used a pressurized sprayer filled with water to wet down the entire ceiling. I let it soak in for about 15 minutes, then got up on the step-stool and started scraping away the wet paste that was on the ceiling drywall:
Here is Jeff in the closet, working hard to scrape every last bit of the popcorn texturing off the drywall:
I’m not going to lie, this project made a huge mess and covered both of us in old popcorn texture paste:
You can see my scraping tools on the chair. I just used drywall joint knives for scraping the ceilings. Notice how much of a mess is left when we finished one side of the room. There was paste all over the step-stool, chair, and floor:
The whole ceiling finally scraped clean!
The ceiling was clean, but there was a paste-y mess on the walls and ceiling fan. The next step was redoing the joint compound on the ceiling drywall. I spent a lot of hours on the step-stool, carefully smoothing new drywall paste along all the ceiling seams and nail holes. After all that, a good sanding session and the ceiling was ready for paint!
I decided not to add new texture to my freshly scraped ceilings. I love the look of a nice, smooth, flat ceiling. It takes a lot of prep work to get a flat ceiling (think lots of smoothing out joint compound and then sanding down the ceiling) but the results are worth it. Here is the ceiling all painted:
Our next huge project was laying hardwood flooring throughout the room (we did this in the rest of the house at the same time). Jeff did most of the demolition, removing all the old carpets and carpet tack strips:
We stripped everything down to the subfloor and took out all the baseboards and those long shelves around the room. I patched all the nicks and dings in the walls in addition to patching all the nail holes left behind by the perimeter shelving. Jeff is standing over the top of the purchased boxes of wood flooring (waiting to be installed). He’s prepping the walls to get them ready for paint. We used TSP cleaner on every wall surface, those walls were filthy!
After we sanded the wall patches and cleaned everything, I painted all the walls. I wanted to finish the paint before we started on the wood floor installation.
This is about a week’s worth of progress and what a change! It’s amazing what new paint and wood floors can do to change a room! Jeff and I were just finishing laying the final edge of the wood floor:
Even before we finished the wood flooring, Jeff needed a place to work. I set up this ‘temporary’ solution. We finished the wood floor but the rest of the room stayed partly unfinished until this summer.
Finishing the office kept getting moved down my list as I worked on the rest of the house but this summer I wanted to complete the room so Jeff could have a decent-looking place to work at home. Here was the office as it looked this spring. I had had time to hang curtains and set up Jeff’s working space but the room still didn’t have baseboards:
So as soon as Jeff had a break in his work schedule, I moved his computer setup to the other bedroom and began the final push to finish the office. I covered everything with dropclothes and painted my paint samples on the walls. The three paint colors are from gallons of paint I already had on hand. I wanted the room color to fit into the rest of the homestead’s overall color scheme so I just tested colors I’ve used elsewhere in the house. The winner was the Benjamin Moore “black pepper”. It’s the deep blue on the left:
I used my handy 2-inch angled wedge paintbrush to cut in the edges and corners of the walls. I also painted the mounted vertical brackets for my built-in bookcase project. I finished up the paint job with a roller:
Here are three of the office walls painted. I didn’t paint the window wall because I turned it into a wall of wood paneling.
The next big step was cutting and nailing down all of the baseboard trim. I installed it throughout the entire room as well as the closet. My pictures turned out better in the closet so that’s what you’re getting! I didn’t change the paint in the closets, it’s still the Benjamin Moore “Moonshine’ color that I painted it just before we laid the wood floor.
After I fitted in all the baseboard pieces, I added quarter-round trim along the bottom:
Once all the trim was nailed into place I caulked every single seam and corner. Then added the final coat of trim paint. My trim paint color is Benjamin Moore’s ‘Decorator’s White’:
There! All done and so sharp looking:
This wasn’t an entirely smooth process. Here is what happens when you have fresh paint near a curious cat. Those are infuriatingly cute kitty footprints:
I installed and painted all the trim throughout the office. This piece wraps around the built-in bookcase:
Now I’m taking a quick writing break. I’ve posted all my photos of the decorated office here!
You’ve seen all the hard work we’ve put into this room, now come see our newly functional office space here!
These are a few of my other posts about the office: